30 April 2016 / Club News

St Davids 43-24 Bluestone RFC

St Davids 43-24 Bluestone RFC

The much anticipated clash between St Davids and Bluestone RFC took place at Fishguard Road last Wednesday night – with the Saints prevailing in an entertaining contest that produced ten tries.

On a perfect night for rugby at in front of a decent midweek crowd, the home side started well as Fraser Watson took a quick tap penalty, and after Bluestone were penalised for not retreating the full 10 metres – outside half Scott James slotted the simple three points.

Rhys ‘Loshin’ Price’s men had the upper hand in the scrums early on – and it paid dividends when the Saints pack pushed the visitors off their own ball near the try line, setting up James to stroll unopposed under the posts.

The next score came from home winger Anton Matthews, who was put away on the left wing and beat two covering defenders to score.

The game then went to uncontested scrums due to injuries to the Bluestone front row, but Saints’ third try soon followed as centre Sion Morgan burst through a gap and offloaded to centre partner Watson to score.

Matthews then got his second with another sharp finish in the corner, after both James and Watson had made ground in midfield.

No 10 James added all four conversions as the home side opened up a comfortable 31-0 lead.

But Bluestone, playing their fourth charity game since forming earlier this season, then got a foothold and were unlucky not to end the half with points on the board following a heavy spell of pressure.

However, early in the second half, the visitors did strike when after further pressure, flanker Matthew Lewis picked up from the base of a ruck and powered over.

And moments later an unlikely fightback appeared possible when Bluestone No 10 Kial Keane chased his own chip kick and despite an awkward bounce, managed to ground the ball before also converting to make it 31-12.

But just when the visitors seemed to have the momentum, The Saints struck back as replacement outside half Ben Joyce made a sniping run, setting up the platform for second row Chris Jenkins to drive his way over the line.

The game opened up even further in the final stages as The Saints took the chance to empty their replacements bench, and it was Bluestone who scored next as No 8 Zac France-Miller took a pop pass and crashed over from close range.

James then returned to the field for St Davids to cut over for his second try that he converted, following a strong run from replacement winger Rhys Evans – but it was the visitors who had the final say when France-Miller picked up from a scrum on halfway, and handed off two would be tacklers for a try before Keane added the simple extras.

It rounded off an entertaining clash between the two teams – and there were plenty of positives for skipper Price and coach Matthew ‘Taff’ Williams to take from the win, with virtually their whole squad getting valuable game time.

As a bonus, local filming group 3SixTyddewi Production’s used a drone to film footage from the clash, with Saints players able to enjoy highlights on social media the following day.

St Davids: John Miles, Steve Regan, Fraser Watson, Sion Morgan, Anton Matthews, Scott James, Zak Morgan, Will Davies, Neil Thomas, Dan Murphy, Rhys ‘Loshin’ Price (Capt), Chris Jenkins, Dafydd Williams, Scott Riches, Andrew Groves.

Replacements (all used): Tom Miles, Ben Evans, Noel Lyons, Rhys ‘Owen’ Price, Kenna Evans, Olly Skeate, Curt Buchanan, Daniel Jenkins, Gethin Bateman, Rhys Evans, Aaron Foster, Ben Joyce, Gabriel Clarke.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments